Friday, August 9, 2013

Barbie Horsley / Sassy Nitely

If I had to describe this week's interview subject, the first words that come to mind would be a giver, funny, soulful, and genuine.  If you've ever been to one of Barbie's (Sassy in SL) live performances, you'll agree.  If you've not been, grab a seat as we get to know her better and get to a show soon!  




Sassy Nitely
(by Maali Beck)
Tell us about Barbie Horsley and your inworld Avi, Sassy Nitely. Who is the fantastic lady that brings us such awesome performances?
Aww! :) I'm just a regular gal from humble beginnings that wants to bring light into this world. Music takes me to so many places and I just want to take others there with me. :)


How did you get started as a musician, Barbie?
I've had a passion for music ever since I was four years old. That's when I started to sing. My Mom knew I wanted to be on a stage, so she put me in dance. LOL That was a HUGE mistake...I didn't want any part of that. Haha! :)  wanted to sing! As the years went by; I was reading music, singing in honor choirs and playing in the school band (percussion) by the time I was 12. I ended up pursuing a degree in vocal music education, but I still wanted more. I picked up a guitar in 2008 and I felt complete. THAT was the missing piece.



Listen to Barbie as she performs an original  - Behind...


Who are some of your role models or inspirations for your career as a musician?
Oh boy, this is one of those questions where you'll look back later and think "Ohhh crap, I forgot this person". Haha :) First, my step-dad. An amazing man who taught me how to read music and really helped unlock my full potential as a percussionist. I honestly feel that if he wasn't a part of my life, I wouldn't be answering these questions right now. Mrs. Swor - my honor choir teacher from high school. She believed in me and taught me how to control this big voice. As far famous role models or inspirations, definitely high on that list is Janis Joplin, Stevie Nicks, Taylor Dayne, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Melissa Etheridge...do you see a pattern? Haha Powerful females with big voices and a very strong presence.


My July
You have a band in real life, My July?
Yuppers! :) My brother, myself and a friend of ours started My July in 2009. Many ask us "That is an odd name for a band, what's the story"? Dave (my brother) and I grew up in a musical family where almost everyone either sang or played an instrument. So every July my parents would throw a massive 4th of July party and that's when we'd all get together as a family and just jam out. We had a little Partridge Family thing going on. Haha So once Dave and I decided to start a band, "My July" was the perfect name.


That was a great show in SL at Bahama's Swingers Club last night! Do you perform there often?
Thanks, MJ! :) I play there the first Tuesday of every month.  Ami Panthar (owner) is just an absolute doll.  I adore her work ethic.  She's my kinda people! Hehe


Maali Beck
You have a manager, Maali Beck. How long have you two know each other?
MAALI POP! Absolutely ADORE this woman. I met Maali for the first time at the Chicago Jam in 2010. Just a very beautiful person inside and out. A few months after the Chicago Jam, I found myself having to find another manager. Maali offered her services and the rest is history. Not only a wonderful manager, but a jewel of a friend.



Speaking of Ms. Maali, we have a surprise mini-interview with her!

How long have you and Barbie known each other?
I met Barbie at the Chicago Jam. Shortly after that (in the Fall, I believe), she was looking for a new manager. We talked and decided we'd be a good team.  I feel very privileged to work with such accomplished & professional artists & Sassy is certainly a beautiful combination of gifted artist and ultimate professional.  She takes her craft seriously, while having a good time w/ her friends and fans.

Can you tell us about your experience as a manager?
I started managing SL artists early in 2008.  Music is such a huge part of my life (but I can't sing to save my life or play an instrument...I do however play iTunes very well! ?? ).  I've managed a good number of artists over the years.  The artists I represent now are those whose friendships I treasure, and admire & respect as artists.  I won't manage someone that I wouldn't want to listen to every day, so I am selective in who I manage.  I've been truly blessed to work with incredibly talented SL artists.

Do you have any funny stories that you can share with us about working with Barbie?
Funny stories.....hmm.....as you know from her shows, Barbie loves to have a good time.  I think that each of the artists I manage have significantly 'better' shows when the crowds are into the show. Size of the crowd doesn't necessarily determine this.  As for many of us, Barbie feeds off engaged audiences who are involved in the chat and she throws it right back at them.  She *loves* themed shows and getting dressed up for them.  One or two of those fell flat.......in fact one themed show (I think the theme was Senior Citizens) people attended, but most left pretty soon after she began.  She and I had 'embraced" the theme, but others seemed to not appreciate it at all!  LOL

What do you enjoy most about working with Barbie?
There are many things I love about working w/ Barbie: as I mentioned earlier, she is a consummate professional (i.e., always prepared, shows up early, has her act together, etc.), incredibly talented, I love listening to her....not only her music, but her interactions w/ the audiences.  She's very personable and a truly lovely, genuine individual.  I'm truly honored to call her a dear friend.  

If someone wants to book Barbie for a show, how would we do that?
When someone wants to book Barbie, they contact me.  I do all the negotiations, draw up contracts, etc.  I love working w/ the venue owners and getting to know the different audiences.
I check out the venues before the event and determine how many people the venue will hold comfortable, etc.

Thank you very much for your time, Maali!  As always, it been a pleasure to talk with you!


And now back to Barbie's interview ... 

Your inworld group, The BackSasser's ... what would a newcomer expect to see in your group?
Fun, silliness and comradery.  We all like to just have a good time and don't take ourselves too seriously.  Some musicians would call the individuals in their group "fans", but that's not how I roll.  I don't look at the BackSasser's as fans. You'll never hear the word "fan" come out of my mouth during shows. They are my family. And a darn amazing one too!  I LOVE Y'ALL! ♥


Do you perform with other artists inworld, Barbie?
I do! I've had the privilege and honor to work with several amazing SL musicians on the grid and in RL! :) Inworld I have dual streamed with Max Kleene, Gina Stella, Gabryel Nyoki, Anek Fuchs, Phillip Moura, and AM Forte. :)



Listen to Barbie perform Lady Antebellum - Need You Now...


Tell us about Chicks & Coffee ... ?
Chicks & Coffee was started by my good friend, Clairede Dirval. Chicks & Coffee is at Club Voyant on the second Saturday of every month. It features several of SL's powerhouse female musicians. I am just honored she asked me to be a part of it. Currently, the Chicks are Clairede, Camme Carver, TerryLynn Melody, Moon Spark, Sonya Jevette, and myself. :)


You've been involved in raising funds for Feed a Smile, what would you like to say about that experience?
Feed a Smile is one of the most humbling experiences I've had as a musician. Brique Zeiner is just an incredible woman who is the Chairwoman at Live & Learn in Kenya International NGO. This program caters to desolately poor children by giving them warm meals and an education.


You've also been involved in Relay for Life, haven't you?
I am! :) Still Braveheart is the leading lady behind the particular RFL team I'm a part of. This year, we raised 4 Million Linden in aiding cancer research. Amazing!


You've recently had a debut at Kiki Szetey's Solelua Beach, tell us about that?
Kiki is just a lovely person with a very warm presence about her. I was thrilled about being able to play Solelua Beach. The show was a hoot and so many friends came out to support the venue and myself. I can't wait to be back! :)





Coming up in October, you'll have been in SL for 6 years. What can you share about your experience?
Wow, 6 years already? Where has the time gone!? LOL Not only am I proud to be a resident in SL, I have met some of the most interesting people from around the world. As a musician, it's hard enough being able to reach out to the masses. In SL, I can. I've also made several life-long friends in RL due to SL.






So tell us about the guys in your life, Barbie ...
Well, there are two who completely stole my heart. One calls me "Mom", the other calls me his "Fiance'". Hehe :) Christopher is my son, my reason...my entire world. I couldn't be more proud of the amazing young man he's become. Bob is my fiance'. And a little fun trivia for ya: We met in SL in 2008. He and I became instant friends. Bless his heart, he chased me for a year and I finally gave in. Haha :) After another year went past, he moved from Chicago to be with me in Nashville. He's been here for 3 years and he FINALLY put a ring on it July 5th! :) 'bout time! Haha



                     Listen to Barbie as she performs Meiko - Leave the Lights On...


I noticed that you use Google Docs for your song list. How do you like it?
LOVE it! It's so easy to keep lists organized. I'm pretty OCD about that sorta thing, so Google Docs keeps those OCD monsters from making an appearance. Hehe :)


What suggestions would you have for someone wanting to venture into the SL music venue?
When starting out in SL, shoot for the tip only venues. Kickin' Club (LilMissPriss Lane, owner) has a great crowd and is a wonderful place to get your feet wet and get a base following. Regarding starting a venue in SL, definitely use disposable income to do so. The money you maybe will get 10% back from tips. So it really is a labor of love!


Now, I've heard you use a term, "hamster balls" ... any story behind that?
Haha MJ ... you know me.  I'm just a goofy person!  That came out of nowhere honestly.  I kinda surprised myself with that one ... you probably even heard me snort afterwards!  Haha :)


How do we contact you for bookings, Barbie?
Contact my amazing manager and friend, Maali Beck inworld or by notecard.  She'll hook you up, man! :)


on Marketplace
Is Sas-It-Up still an active store and group?
It is an active store in the Marketplace, but I rarely use the group unless I have a sale.  Since I closed the inworld store it allowed me to really pursue my venue {Serene Acoustic Lounge}.


Barbie Horsley
Anything else you'd like to tell the audience, Barbie?
Thank you for supporting live music in SL and for reading MJ's blog!  He's the man! :)


Thank you very much for taking the time to talk with me today! I've enjoyed getting to spend a few moments with you and get to know you better.
I'm honored, MJ.  Really.  Thank you for you! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment