Friday, September 13, 2013

Annie Melson

This week's interviewee is a wonderful lady with a touching story.  Come join us, as we talk with Annie Melson!  She is the designer behind Just BECAUSE and makes a fantastic contribution to the SL world of fashion.  










So we get to learn about Annie Melson and your designs featured in Just BECAUSE.  What would you like to share with us about yourself?
Oh my gosh, I hate talking about myself! LOL! What do I say?? Um... I'm just an average regular person that lives in a beautiful northern state in the USA. I truly am married to my best friend and we've enjoyed 18 years together and we're hoping for many more years to come. We've got two great kids. I'm an award winning artist in RL and have had my work hang in several galleries. I love cats and have four (OMG!), which was completely unplanned for I must add, so it's a good thing I love them LOL! We also have fish and one crazy bird who thinks she's the queen of the house. :)


How did you get started in design work, Annie?
My start in design work isn't really a happy one, but it has turned out happy. I had been in SL long before creating and selling furniture. That was going pretty well, but then I left SL. I was gone for over a year. My dear husband, Terk,  was diagnosed with cancer and it threw us and our little family for a loop. It was the worst year of our lives. He's recovered and is doing well now, but during that time we were on the edge of losing everything because of the mounting medical bills. And while being a RL artist is fun and fulfilling, it doesn't pay worth a hoot, so I had to go to work to keep us going. It was my husband who suggested I come back to SL and sell my creations, whatever I decided to create, that way I could be here for the kids too. I spent the next 3 months spending hours researching on creating a successful business in SL. Failure wasn't an option. My husband and kids needed me to succeed.

I decided that I didn't want to go back to furniture. I hate scripts, and working with them drives me batty, so I knew the best design work for me was in clothing, which has been so much better than furniture creating for me. It fit me so much better, and I enjoy doing it so much more. As an RL artist, it made it perfect, because it dealt with painting, which is what I do when I make my clothing. Now, with the mesh, it adds sculpting which is another RL art I love to do, but instead of clay it is digital. :)


Just BECAUSE was named as one of exclusive 24 menswear designers in The 24.  What can you tell us about this?
The 24 is an invitation only event that features 24 of the best men's fashion, 24 of the best women's fashion, 24 of the best home items, and 24 of the best pose/animation makers in SL. Each of these designers has a shop on one of the four sims (each sim is dedicated to each category) and they are showcased in the shows they put on throughout the week. This event is put on by Siren Productions, and they host many other incredible events throughout the year, one of which is the Menswear Fashion Week which I have also participated in.



Let's talk about your textures for a moment.  Are each of your textures hand-painted and original creations?
All of my finished textures are my own creation, meaning I never use templates. Every crease and fold, every stitch is hand painted. I will buy and use background fabrics and patterns (like a cotton weave) to save time because hand painting everything takes a lot of my time, but many times I make those too. It just depends on how much time has already been spent. I don't like taking too long because it is good to keep releasing new items in a timely manner. But, yes, the final textures I upload to apply to clothing are completely mine. They aren't someone else's template or creation.

However, there is nothing wrong with people using texture templates to create and sell. They do good work and it allows many others to have a business of their own, which is one of the wonderful aspects of SL. But I like to stay away from it because as an artist I never want to infringe on copyright, or make  people question even an inkling whether I have. I would never want it happening to me, so I do whatever I can to stay away from doing it to others. So making my own not only protects me from this, but it also gives the customer a creation that is original and unique, which is also really important to me.


So Annie, you are involved a few hunts ... Season's Palette, Menstuff, and Homestuff.  Tell us about your part in these hunts.
Oh my goodness, I love hunts! Not only are they a lot of fun, but it gives me the opportunity to give people something nice to enjoy. It's kind of a way for me to help give back. :) Season's Palette is a hunt that  requires the designers to use 3 or more colors from a selection of colors given to them to use on their creations and I like the challenge of doing that. The Menstuff/Homestuff hunt is a combined hunt. I don't make Homestuff items, so I'm participating in the Menstuff side of this hunt. I'm also one of the Womenstuff designers from this same group, but Womenstuff doesn't currently have a hunt going on. They should have one coming up sometime soon though. :)


I noticed an advertisement for Mad City on your event board, what is Mad City?
Mad City is a group of brilliant game creators who create very cool interactive hunt games for SL. I absolutely love them! They create hunts that are much more than just a hunt - they are games you have to play in order to receive the prizes from each of the stores participating at the end. They are usually spooky and dark in nature, throwing you into a mystery you have to solve. The Mad City hunt I was participating in just finished. I really look forward to participating in the next one they have. They are incredible!


You have a new men's release, Men's Splash Collection.  What does this include?
The Men's Splash Collection are my latest swimwear for the men and already it is proving to be incredibly popular! I created three different swimsuit styles in mesh for the men to choose from - the longer board shorts, the mid thigh length swim trunks, and the very popular speedo style swim briefs. Of each of these 3 styles I created 2 different versions, which has 5 different colors. You do the math and you come up with 30 different choices of swimwear! I know, I went crazy! LOL! I also made full packs at a discounted price so people who love them all can save a bit of money. :) These of course come in all five standard sizes.


Just BECAUSE was one of the solo shows participating in Menswear Fashion Week back in April 2013.  Tell us about your involvement in this event, Annie ...
Menswear Fashion Week is created by Siren Productions, which I spoke of earlier regarding The 24, except this is strictly for the men. I was thrilled that Just BECAUSE was one of their solo shows, meaning I had a fashion show exclusively showing Just BECAUSE clothing. I had to create a whole new collection to showcase called Modern Gatsby. I used this event to launch into making my own mesh clothing as well as starting a whole new way of releasing clothes - by collections instead of one item at a time.


Another outfit caught my eye, Modern Gatsby.  What's the story behind this classy men's outfit?
Modern Gatsby is a pretty special collection of clothes for me because it was when I learned how to make my own mesh clothing and I used some of my new mesh in this collection. This is the collection that was debuted during Menswear Fashion Week 2013. Before this I was using mesh created by others because I hadn't learned how to make it myself yet. (Please note however that the textures for these mesh clothes were solely my own, keeping with my stance on originality.)

Current trends in men's fashion in RL was what inspired me to make The Modern Gatsby collection. Men's clothing was taking on a 1920's flair, brought about by the release of The Great Gatsby movie that just came out at the time. I fell in love with it and wanted to make them for SL too, but with a slight modern twist to it by adding jeans and a button down casual shirt. Class meets casual. And that's how Modern Gatsby was formed. :)


Back in January, you held a open chat, "Coffee with Annie".  Tell us about this unique opportunity to spend some time with you ...
Designing clothes is a very solitary and lonely process. I call myself a Sky Platform Dweller because that's where I am always found! LOL! All of my time is spent creating. I don't leave my platform much and often times I may look like I'm online, but the SL window is shrunk down and I am working hard in other programs creating, such as Blender and Photoshop. But I like to be able to talk with my customers and give them an opportunity to give me ideas, tell me what they love, what they would like to see changed, etc. I like for my customers to have a voice. Just BECAUSE only exists because of them and I want them to be a part of the creation, so I created "Coffee with Annie" to give myself and them an opportunity to talk, get to know each other, and hear their thoughts and suggestions. It's my way of helping people connect with me, and for me to connect with them. I really need to have another one soon.
If people can't make these events, or they just don't want to wait for the next one, they can always connect with me through my social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, and SLX Connect, among others.


You have a blog for Just BECAUSE that you operate.  Do you post regularly, Annie?
Yes, I do! :D I post whenever I have a new collection released, but I will also post work in progress pictures and news. I don't post every day, but I do keep the blog updated at all times. If I haven't posted in awhile it is because I'm working hard, not because I'm not doing anything, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm not updating it regularly. I means an update is coming. :D


Tell us about the Just BECAUSE Fun & Flirty Collection.
The Fun & Flirty Collection was a lot of fun to make! It was summer and that inspired me to make something... well...  fun and flirty for the girls! LOL! Girls like pretty ruffles and ribbons but they also like to show a flirty side and tease those boys out there and what better way to do that but in the summer? ;) So out come the capris and shorts, and cute hankie tops, camis, and tube tops! I went with some really fun colors and patterns too, and since I couldn't decide on which textures and colors to go with I added a texture changing HUD to all of them but the hankie tops. Let me tell you, trying to figure out the scripts for that HUD was NOT fun! I hate scripts and what an ordeal that was! LOL! But I finally got it and the result is a really fun and versatile collection. :) The Fun & Flirty Collection is my own mesh creations and you can see some of the work in progress shots of them on my blog.  


For those of us not in the designer world, especially mesh, tell about Blender.  How is this used in your designs?
Blender.... How can I talk about Blender in a simple way that doesn't scare anyone?? LOL! Well, I guess I'll just be blunt and hope for the best. :) Blender is a very complex and powerful program, incredibly intimidating and overwhelming, especially to someone who doesn't know a thing about hot keys and shortcuts, which was me when I first was trying to learn it. I first started playing with Blender when I was learning how to make sculpties back before mesh was introduced to SL. You should have seen me when I finally "got" it! LOL! I have to admit that I was super proud of myself because I am not a natural when it comes to techy stuff.

Blender is a free program, but that doesn't mean the program in a lesser program. It has everything and it is very powerful. But it is also very complicated and hard to get a grip of. It took me a month to get a handle on it just to make sculpties, and then when mesh came out it took me another solid week with very long hours to grasp that. It's intense! You definitely have to have determination to figure it out and not let the frustration get to you, because it is very frustrating at times. But once you got it, it gets very easy and very rewarding. :)   I use the Avastar plug in for Blender to add the SL avatar easily, then I add a mesh cube and start molding it into a shirt or pants. It's like digital clay. :) After that comes rigging it to the avatar and weighting it to the bones so that it moves with the avatar. Weighting is my least favorite part. It's tedious and finicky and I could tweak it all week long because I'm a perfectionist. :P LOL!


I'm really enjoying the mesh tank top men's group gift.  Do you offer group gifts on a regular basis?
I'm so glad you like the group gift, Michael! I wish I could say I offer group gifts on a regular basis, but it hasn't been very regular at all, nor am I happy with that. I truly need another pair of arms - maybe 2 pairs of arms! But I highly doubt I'll be sprouting a new set anytime soon. :P Do you think cloning myself would work better?? LOL!

It's very hard to keep up with everything. My main focus is on creating new collections for people to enjoy (and with them being original it starts from the very beginning each time, making it more time consuming), then I have a lot of events and hunts I participate in, next comes maintaining the business side of things, and then after that comes group gifts and Coffee with Annie. Often times I'm not left with anymore time for those. My husband, Terk Sak, handles customer service, which is a big help, but he works a RL job and that takes most of his time. But I do plan on releasing a new group gift within the next month, which of course will be original. :)


You have a collection named Shawn that features jeans, t-shirt, and a leather jacket.  What else can you tell us about the Shawn Collection?
The Shawn Collection was made when I was still learning about mesh. I hadn't learned how to make my own at that time yet, so those are made with premade mesh. There are a few mesh pieces in my store using these before I learned how to do them myself. However, the textures were fully created by me. I did not use the templates for that, nor for any others I used the premade mesh for. I learn as I go, and these few items are the turning point pieces. So the Shawn Collection was a fun new creation for me. It's when I fell in love with mesh and decided that I was going to learn how to do it myself and never go back to system layer clothing, unless in the rare occurrence it is needed for a finished look. :)


Back in May 2013, you released a mesh dress and floppy hat, Eden.  Tell us about this beautiful design that offers texture changing options.
Eden was my first original mesh creation for women that I am happy with. I had created a previous mesh dress called Gabby, which is my first ever mesh creation, but it is not up to my standards, which is why I have it for sale at an ultra cheap price. It's cute, but was part of my learning curve. Modern Gatsby came after Gabby, and it came out well. Eden was my next creation. I made Eden because I needed a new dress to wear to my solo show at Menswear Fashion Week 2013 showcasing the Modern Gatsby Collection. I wore it  to the show without having even finished making all of the color options, and the hat hadn't even been created yet. The hat was fun to make, and because I couldn't make up my mind on textures, I decided to put in a texture changing script. Eden ended up being very popular with the girls. They loved the classic style of it. :)


What would you say are your best selling men's and/or women's items?
By far my mesh creations are my best sellers, and the new men's swimwear is the biggest best sellers for the men, even more than the Gatsby Collection, which sells really well too. My best sellers for the women are the shorts in the Fun & Flirty Collection. I have to admit I am particularly fond of those shorts myself. :D








Do you have any suggestions for someone wanting to start designing inworld?
Before I opened my store I spent 3 months researching everything I could about creating a successful brand and business in SL, and I really think those first 3 months are what gave me a giant leap on the learning curve. I learned so many valuable things from other business owners in SL through this. It saved me a lot of mistakes. Those 3 months were spent learning, creating a business plan, and creating some items that could be put in the store from the start. Also, social networks are huge. I started my blog, created my Facebook, and Twitter accounts before I even opened my store in SL. Use the social networks. I believe they are imperative to success. But whenever someone asks me for tips and how to start a business I always tell them to start researching. The internet is a wealth of information and knowledge is power. :)



Annie, you have a new store opening soon, can you tell us about it?
My new store is going to be mesh!  It has a long ways to go yet to be completed. I'm hoping by the end of next week or beginning of week after that to have it put out and replace the old one.  Here are a few photos of the work in progress!





It has been fantastic talking with you.  Thank you very much for your time, Annie!




1 comment:

  1. Brilliant interview. I enjoyed learning things about my friend Annie that I did not know.

    ReplyDelete