Friday, July 19, 2013

Bianca Xavorin - Gedenspire

Come join me while I take a walk through a few art galleries in Second Life, searching for Mrs. Bianca Xavorin-Gedenspire.  While visiting the Bianca Xavorin Studio (see link below), I was invited to her beautiful home for the interview.

I learned during our time together, that this is Bianca's first interview.  I hope you enjoy getting to know this incredible artist as much as I have!



Cake at Bianca Xavorin Studios
Can you tell us a little about yourself, Mrs. Xavorin-Gedenspire?
I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia in a very happy home filled with music, laughter and oodles of love.  I have studied at The Philadelphia college of art, Chester County Yellow Springs Studio.  Other studies in the arts include 12 years of Piano and extensive study in Dance.  I have a background in Art in RL and with RL the way it is it drifted away from me.  I came into SL 3 years ago when I saw a story on the news about it.  I wanted to learn about Machinima and even dabbled in it looking to use it in RL.  I use to produce TV in RL and thought wow, what a great venue to use to create program.  I soon found out I was out of my league and needed to start from scratch which brought me to still photography.  After a time I met Graham Collinson who took me under his wing and taught me about the use of light and composition.  He would take me to a thing called Photo Hunt that is every Monday and Wednesday where artist have one hour to find the perfect picture and submit on a board for judging etc.  Anyways, I got the bug.  I started to see what artists did in SL and was blown away.  Graham also taught me about windlight settings and using props.  

What is your goal with your artwork?
My main goal is to introduce SL art in RL.  My goal is also to create a picture that captures a subjects soul, tells a story, and emulates a feeling.  Creating special sets from scratch is a passion for me.  Ripping apart my sim is nothing new to create the perfect atmosphere.  By the way, I have a craving for happiness. I hope it is contagious.


Anubis Stalking
Where do you get your inspiration, Bianca?
I love doing pictures of other avatars.  When I do others from their essence, I want to pull more than just a pretty picture.  I want to evoke some type of feeling.  I even interview the person(s) prior to a shoot then create a setting customized just for the shoot.  One of my favorite shoots was when Shamas Maximas came to me and asked for a Bianca Original.  The deal was I could not sell it.  He wanted an Egyptian theme.  I ripped apart my land over night to create this for him.



The Wheel That Squeaks Gets Greased
at Timamoon Arts
You had a submission for the Artists for SL photo contest, The Wheel That Squeaks Gets Greased.  What can you share with us about this artwork?
Hahahahaha.  Funny story about that.  
I did it for the contest and was so proud.  Then, I found out I did it wrong.









Tell us a little about your studio.  What are some of your favorite tools to use when you are doing a photo shoot?
As you can see I work in 3D and do not use a studio.  I also love playing with reflection.


Do you have a gallery inworld where we can see some of your work?
My first Gallery to give me a break in SL was Ernie Farstrider's East Gallery.  Yes I am in 6 Galleries now.  


I have four, what are the other two?     
The wonderful Artists for SL Gallery owned by Jim Slater and The Fainting Goat owned by Graham Collinson.  I also have several cafes, and galleries letting me hang my work for sale in them as well. 


Wheelerwood in a Box
with Wheelerwood Oppewall
One of your pieces of artwork is titled Wheelerwood in a Box.  Do you work with other SL artists often? 
Hahahaha!  Wheeler.  Yes, I love working with fellow artists.  I model for several and they for me.  Sometimes it is nice to work on the other side of the camera.  Wheeler use to love that I understood the process.  Hair sticking out of your chest and so on.  Graham Collison and I have done many project together as well.  Recently I have been working some great projects with Walter Gedenspire.  He is a great model and inspiration for my last show INTO THE WOODS.



Shadows and light ... what are your thoughts on using these elements in photography?
In RL Art School that was the first thing they drilled in us.  Every still life was black and white so we learned about light and shadow.  I believe it gives it a 3D feel to the art, along with creating a mood.  In the beginning I used only face lights.  Then I met LarryB Writer who taught me about LumiPro.  LumiPro is a camera system in SL that is amazing.  It is like carrying your studio with you everywhere.  You can pose your models, light them, and even control their eyes.  LumiPro works on any sim.  It took my work to a new level.


After you've created a set and taken your photo(s), do you have tools or processes that you use while post-processing?
Ah you mean like PS, ... I use a program called Photo Explosion.  I do so much preparation during a shoot my time in editing is little.  I do hope in the future to play more with editing.


What are your thoughts on morphing photos?
I am not a huge fan ... but respect the craft.


Are there online sites that your artwork is also visible, Bianca?
Yes you can find my work on flickr and Koinup.



Boys and Their Toys
Looking through your flickr photos, I see several awesome nudes.  What would you like to share with us about your nudes?
I have always been a fan of Michael Angelo.   My father use to read the Agony and the Ecstasy after dinner as a child...   I remember how he studied the human body even down to the veins.  I always felt the human body is beautiful.  In art school we worked with nude models often.  Back to Angelo ... when he painted the Sistine chapel the people were nude.
The priest or who ever made him cover all the people.  So, he painted that priest in hell to get even after he put drapes and clothes on.


What pointers or guidance can you offer someone wanting to explore the world of photography in Second Life?
Anyone can start with a facelight that you can get free on MarketPlace and windlight settings.  Also Artists for SL has live classes for beginners.  That is one of the best groups in SL for Art.


Tiny Dancer
Have you sold any of your artwork in SL or RL?
I have already printed out some of my work ... and have sold one piece, Tiny Dancer, for $50.00.


What are your favorites activities in SL when you are not working in your studio?
Walter and I visit many Gallery openings along with plenty of parties.  I am usually very busy.


Anything else that you'd like to add, Bianca?
I do want to add that I will get to Machinima, my orginal goal, and play with short video clips.  I was just contacted by a producer looking to see where I was at with that project.


How can someone reach you?
Facebook is a sure way to get my attention.  In SL a notecard and IM are perfect.  Though, please be patient in SL because when I am in a shoot I can not get to my IM.


4 comments:

  1. wonderful interview....congratulations to both of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Walter! Blogspot posted your comment twice for some reason.

      Delete
  2. My sister. What an amazing talented person she is. Articulate, talented and beautiful inside and out. She captures the essence of an avator and transforms them into something magical and amazing. Wonderful interview. Well done and congratulations to you both

    ReplyDelete